Rapes Are Again Reported in Eastern Congo

 

Jeffrey Gettelman
The New York Times
February 25, 2011

More than 40 people, including men, women and children, have been raped in the past two weeks in eastern Congo in roughly the same area as a series of rapes earlier this year, United Nations officials said on Friday.

On two separate occasions, the victims were coming back from the market in large groups when they were attacked, aid workers said, and the most likely culprits were rebel forces hiding out in the thickly forested hills of the eastern areas of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

To read the full story in the New York Times, click here.

Advertisements